OXA is efficacious against Gram negative bacterial pathogens of fish. Administered orally, blended with the fish feed, it shows a high bioavailability and is widely used for the treatment of most fish systemic bacterial infections. It can be administered orally by adding to the fish's food or by adding to the water at a dose of 0.5 - 2.0 mg/L for one to two days. Note: This medication's efficiency weakens in higher pH levels.
Oxolinic acid is a true 4-quinolone, belonging to a group of chemically related synthetic antibacterial agents all being carboxylic acids. The sodium salt is soluble in water and suitable for use in aquaculture. The quinolones are bactericidal. They inhibit the bacterial enzyme DNA-gyrase resulting in breaks in the bacterial DNA coiling.
OXA is efficacious against Gram negative bacterial pathogens of fish. Administered orally, blended with the fish feed, it shows a high bioavailability and is widely used for the treatment of most fish systemic bacterial infections.
DOSAGE: 2 teaspoons of Oxolinic Acid Powder for every 1 pound of koi pellets. Mix the medication with approximately 2 ounces of water. Add this to a spray bottle, and spray the entire contents over the feed. Let air dry. Note: It is important that you do not use any heat element to dry the feed because it will destroy the medication.
Use a fan to expedite the drying process if necessary. Feed the medicated feed to the fish once a day for two weeks. Do not feed any other food except for the medicated food during treatment time. You do not need oil or gelatin to get the medication to stick to the food. This is a waste of time, and it pollutes the water.
There are 16 different forms of Aeromonas. Including viral strains of Aeromonas that cannot be cured with the medications we have today.
We like to use a combination of Oxolinic Acid mixed into the feed, and Potassium Permanganate in the water to prevent a secondary fungal infection from developing on the ulceration's.
Many people cure the Aeromonas infection with the Oxolinic Acid and then find after the completion of the treatment, the sores are still open and red. This is due to saprolegnia fungus that has invaded the ulceration's and is acting like a parasite, eating away at the sores. This is why it is important to use an anti-fungal medication in the water along with the Oxolinic Acid in the feed. We like the Potassium Permanganate best, but you can use Malachite Green or Forma-Green in the water instead.